Transaction Replacement by Fee
Police Terror via bitcoin-dev
2017-01-12 14:02:00 UTC
Hello,

Where can I find the rules on transaction replacement?

For instance what are the valid ranges for the sequence values in
transaction inputs? Normally I set this value to MAX_UINT32, and the
locktime to 0.

Can I change the outputs? Can I add more inputs to pay a higher fee?

Just looking for clarity on this aspect of Bitcoin. Any resources would
be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Greg Sanders via bitcoin-dev
2017-01-12 14:13:23 UTC
BIP125 is the standard way to signal:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0125.mediawiki

Should explain everything you need.

Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev
2017-01-12 19:58:30 UTC
Post by Greg Sanders via bitcoin-dev
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0125.mediawiki
Should explain everything you need.
Additionally some miners mine full replace-by-fee, which has no limitations on
nSequence. My implementation (for v0.13.2) is here:

https://github.com/petertodd/bitcoin/tree/replace-by-fee-v0.13.2

and is identical to Bitcoin Core modulo the nSequence stuff being removed, and
a special service bit added to allow full-rbf nodes to preferentially peer with
each other to make sure replacement transactions get propagated.

In practice full-RBF works fairly well, so while it's even faster to use the
nSequence signalling specified in BIP-125, doing so is not mandatory so long as
you can et your replacement transaction to a full-RBF node.
Andrew via bitcoin-dev
2017-01-28 18:34:58 UTC
Hi, recently been trying to get RBF working on a multisig input. I set
the nSequence to 0, but script didn't verify (used python-bitcoinlib).
Should it work for this type of transaction? I am using the
SignatureHash(...) method of signing, not rpc.signrawtransaction(...).

Thanks

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 7:58 PM, Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev
Post by Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev
Post by Greg Sanders via bitcoin-dev
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0125.mediawiki
Should explain everything you need.
Additionally some miners mine full replace-by-fee, which has no limitations on
https://github.com/petertodd/bitcoin/tree/replace-by-fee-v0.13.2
and is identical to Bitcoin Core modulo the nSequence stuff being removed, and
a special service bit added to allow full-rbf nodes to preferentially peer with
each other to make sure replacement transactions get propagated.
In practice full-RBF works fairly well, so while it's even faster to use the
nSequence signalling specified in BIP-125, doing so is not mandatory so long as
you can et your replacement transaction to a full-RBF node.
PGP: B6AC 822C 451D 6304 6A28 49E9 7DB7 011C D53B 5647