A DNS-like decentralized mapping for wallet addresses?
Add Reply
mandar mulherkar via bitcoin-dev
2017-11-30 22:20:10 UTC
Hello,

I am new, so apologies if this has been asked before.

Here are a few questions to start with -

I was wondering in terms of mass adoption, instead of long wallet
addresses, maybe there should be a DNS-like decentralized mapping service
to provide a ***@crypto address?

This address translation can happen with confirmations from the network. So
instead of providing a long string, or a QR code that needs an app, you
simply type in a human readable address, and the wallet software converts
it to a wallet address.

Please let me know where I can research this more - if there already is
literature about this somewhere.

thanks!
Tao Effect via bitcoin-dev

Justin Newton via bitcoin-dev
2017-12-01 00:10:29 UTC
https://www.walletnames.com

Based on a standard that can support blockchain based or traditional ICANN
DNS.

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 6:20 AM, mandar mulherkar via bitcoin-dev <
Post by mandar mulherkar via bitcoin-dev
Hello,
I am new, so apologies if this has been asked before.
Here are a few questions to start with -
I was wondering in terms of mass adoption, instead of long wallet
addresses, maybe there should be a DNS-like decentralized mapping service
This address translation can happen with confirmations from the network.
So instead of providing a long string, or a QR code that needs an app, you
simply type in a human readable address, and the wallet software converts
it to a wallet address.
Please let me know where I can research this more - if there already is
literature about this somewhere.
thanks!
Justin W. Newton
Founder/CEO
Netki, Inc.

justin@ <***@netki.com>netki.com <***@netki.com>

*+1.818.927.2646*
Douglas Roark via bitcoin-dev
2017-12-01 03:08:24 UTC
Post by mandar mulherkar via bitcoin-dev
I was wondering in terms of mass adoption, instead of long wallet
addresses, maybe there should be a DNS-like decentralized mapping
A few years ago, I was part of an effort with Armory and Verisign to
make something similar to what you're describing.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wiley-paymentassoc-00 is where you can
find the one and only official draft. I worked on a follow-up with some
changes and some nice appendices, explaining some nice tricks one could
use to make payment management flexible. For various reasons, it never
got published. I think it's an interesting draft that could be turned
into something useful. Among other things, it was able to leverage BIP32
and allow payment requests to be generated that automatically pointed
payees to the correct branch. DNSSEC may have some issues but, AFAIK,
it's as the easiest way to bootstrap identity to a common, reasonably
secure standard.
--
---
Douglas Roark
PGP key ID: 26623924
Lucas Clemente Vella via bitcoin-dev
2017-12-01 03:15:00 UTC
The original altcoin, Namecoin, aimed a building a bitcoin-like, blockchain
based decentralized DNS system. Unfortunately it didn't catch, but it would
be the most logical choice for the name registry database.

Post by mandar mulherkar via bitcoin-dev
Hello,
I am new, so apologies if this has been asked before.
Here are a few questions to start with -
I was wondering in terms of mass adoption, instead of long wallet
addresses, maybe there should be a DNS-like decentralized mapping service
This address translation can happen with confirmations from the network.
So instead of providing a long string, or a QR code that needs an app, you
simply type in a human readable address, and the wallet software converts
it to a wallet address.
Please let me know where I can research this more - if there already is
literature about this somewhere.
thanks!
Lucas Clemente Vella
***@gmail.com
CANNON via bitcoin-dev
2017-12-01 04:17:37 UTC
Post by Lucas Clemente Vella via bitcoin-dev
Unfortunately it didn't catch, but it would
Interesting, I just mentioned namecoin literally seconds before this email arrived.
Saying "it did not catch" is not accurate I'd say. It still works great, and namecoin
has actually made great progress this year 2017. I'd say that namecoin has great potential
but just not widely adopted yet.

Would be real nice to have namecion support in major bitcoin wallets for name to data mapping.
Jérémie Dubois-Lacoste via bitcoin-dev

CANNON via bitcoin-dev
2017-12-01 04:12:24 UTC
Post by mandar mulherkar via bitcoin-dev
Hello,
I am new, so apologies if this has been asked before.
Here are a few questions to start with -
I was wondering in terms of mass adoption, instead of long wallet
addresses, maybe there should be a DNS-like decentralized mapping service
Check out namecoin, there is also blockstack as someone mentioned, but I personally feel namecoin is technologically better.

If do not want a static bitcoin address mapped to a username, could use a stealth address (we need more
support for stealth addresses in bitcoin wallets).
Antonis Anastasiadis via bitcoin-dev