Weekly development meetings on IRC
Wladimir J. van der Laan via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-18 01:07:10 UTC
Hello,

At Monday's code sprint we had a good idea to schedule a regular developer meeting in #bitcoin-dev.

Attendance is of course voluntary, but it may be good to have a time that many people are expected to be present and current issues can be discussed.

Any preference for days/times?

What about e.g. every week 15:00-16:00 UTC on Thursday?

Wladimir
Alex Morcos via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-18 02:56:17 UTC
+1
sounds good to me!

Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-18 04:19:09 UTC
Post by Alex Morcos via bitcoin-dev
+1
sounds good to me!
+2

My schedule is chaotic, but I'll try to attend.
Mark Friedenbach via bitcoin-dev

Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-18 04:57:14 UTC
On Friday, September 18, 2015 1:07:10 AM Wladimir J. van der Laan via
Post by Wladimir J. van der Laan via bitcoin-dev
At Monday's code sprint we had a good idea to schedule a regular developer
meeting in #bitcoin-dev.
Attendance is of course voluntary, but it may be good to have a time that
many people are expected to be present and current issues can be
discussed.
I think it's important to make a point that these meetings are for
discussions, and explicitly never decisions, to avoid a repeat of the P2SH
events when people have to miss it.
Post by Wladimir J. van der Laan via bitcoin-dev
Any preference for days/times?
What about e.g. every week 15:00-16:00 UTC on Thursday?
I think I would prefer a bit later, but I could probably make this work.
Probably should try to make it more practical for California devs though,
since there are a number of them.

Luke
Jonas Schnelli via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-18 07:04:58 UTC
Post by Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev
On Friday, September 18, 2015 1:07:10 AM Wladimir J. van der Laan
Post by Wladimir J. van der Laan via bitcoin-dev
At Monday's code sprint we had a good idea to schedule a regular
developer meeting in #bitcoin-dev.
Attendance is of course voluntary, but it may be good to have a
time that many people are expected to be present and current
issues can be discussed.
I think it's important to make a point that these meetings are for
discussions, and explicitly never decisions, to avoid a repeat of
the P2SH events when people have to miss it.
Post by Wladimir J. van der Laan via bitcoin-dev
Any preference for days/times?
What about e.g. every week 15:00-16:00 UTC on Thursday?
+1 for the weekly IRC meetings.

For time and date maybe a Doodle could help:
http://doodle.com/poll/cihug53sa8u4h2in#table

- ---
jonas
Eric Lombrozo via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-18 08:20:54 UTC
I love the weekly meeting idea...but timezones might be an issue.

My general preference would be afternoons to late evenings pacific time, but that translates to late night/early morning for those in europe.
Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev
Btc Drak via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-18 20:24:50 UTC
Google calendar is localised, so it doesn't matter. The problem with
quoting UTC anyway it the meeting times are going to change for those that
observe DST. It would be much better to quote an actual timezone of an
actual area so it will remain constant, like 1700 CEST, or 0900AM PDT for
example. Otherwise when the clocks change, what was a convenient meeting
time will become inconvenient for some.

2015-09-18 20:27:00 UTC
Google Calendar is localized, but has an option to change the timezone
of an event, it just doesnt have UTC in its options. So, yes, we should
use something that observes DST in roughly the same way as everyone else
- CEST/PDT/EST/etc.
Jeffrey Paul via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-18 20:30:23 UTC
Post by Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev
Google Calendar is localized, but has an option to change the timezone
of an event, it just doesnt have UTC in its options. So, yes, we should
use something that observes DST in roughly the same way as everyone else
- CEST/PDT/EST/etc.
According to this post, it is possible to configure Google Calendar to show an additional time zone to your localized one, and GMT/UTC is indeed in the list.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calendar/y6uaiAdZrIg

-jp

--
Jeffrey Paul EEQJ
***@eeqj.com https://eeqj.com
5539 AD00 DE4C 42F3 AFE1 1575 0524 43F4 DF2A 55C2
Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-18 20:34:43 UTC
I believe that is out of date. I see neither UTC nor GMT on the website nor on Android.

Matt
On 18 Sep 2015, at 22:27, Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev
Gregory Maxwell via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-18 20:31:28 UTC
On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 8:27 PM, Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev
Post by Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev
Google Calendar is localized, but has an option to change the timezone
of an event, it just doesnt have UTC in its options. So, yes, we should
use something that observes DST in roughly the same way as everyone else
- CEST/PDT/EST/etc.
uh. There is fairly little global consistency in DST usage. Lots of
places do dst on different dates.

So if it's in some DST timezone it's likely to move twice each change
for some subset of the people who do it.

E.g. europe and US end DST one week apart.
Btc Drak via bitcoin-dev
jl2012 via bitcoin-dev
Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-18 21:50:33 UTC
Post by Btc Drak via bitcoin-dev
Google calendar is localised, so it doesn't matter. The problem with
quoting UTC anyway it the meeting times are going to change for those that
observe DST. It would be much better to quote an actual timezone of an
actual area so it will remain constant, like 1700 CEST, or 0900AM PDT for
example. Otherwise when the clocks change, what was a convenient meeting
time will become inconvenient for some.
Not everyone does crazy clock-changing. Using such a time system for
scheduling seems to inconvenience the wrong position. (although perhaps
arguably better since most people probably use DST) :p

(Aside, if Google Calendar can't support standard UTC, that sounds like an
argument against using Google Calendar...)
Post by Btc Drak via bitcoin-dev
Urgh... Can we hardfork time? It's clearly in need of an upgrade...
Tonal time works nice and consistently. :D

Luke
Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-18 21:50:04 UTC
Post by Btc Drak via bitcoin-dev
Google calendar is localised, so it doesn't matter. The problem with
quoting UTC anyway it the meeting times are going to change for those that
observe DST. It would be much better to quote an actual timezone of an
actual area so it will remain constant, like 1700 CEST, or 0900AM PDT for
example. Otherwise when the clocks change, what was a convenient meeting
time will become inconvenient for some.
Not everyone does crazy clock-changing. Using such a time system for
scheduling seems to inconvenience the wrong position. (although perhaps
arguably better since most people probably use DST) :p

(Aside, if Google Calendar can't support standard UTC, that sounds like an
argument against using Google Calendar...)
Post by Btc Drak via bitcoin-dev
Urgh... Can we hardfork time? It's clearly in need of an upgrade...
Tonal time works nice any consistently. :D

Luke
Dave Scotese via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-18 23:29:42 UTC
I am in a timezone that uses DST (currently PDT), but I would like us to
use a timezone that does NOT use DST. It will be nice to have something
that reflects the seasonal patterns like my own body does. I hate the time
change in both ways.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev <
[...]
I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my value. Do you need a
techie?
I own Litmocracy <http://www.litmocracy.com> and Meme Racing
<http://www.memeracing.net> (in alpha).
I'm the webmaster for The Voluntaryist <http://www.voluntaryist.com> which
now accepts Bitcoin.
I also code for The Dollar Vigilante <http://dollarvigilante.com/>.
"He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules" - Satoshi
Nakamoto
Wladimir J. van der Laan via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-21 13:29:15 UTC
Post by Wladimir J. van der Laan via bitcoin-dev
Hello,
At Monday's code sprint we had a good idea to schedule a regular developer meeting in #bitcoin-dev.
Attendance is of course voluntary, but it may be good to have a time that many people are expected to be present and current issues can be discussed.
Any preference for days/times?
What about e.g. every week 15:00-16:00 UTC on Thursday?
From Jonasschnelli's doodle ( http://doodle.com/poll/cihug53sa8u4h2in#table ) it appears that Thursday 19:00 UTC - 20:00 UTC is the most popular time.

I think scheduling the meeting in UTC (=Iceland time) makes sense internationally because different locales have different DST or no DST at all, so all in all that makes it more complex. It's true that this can make a convenient time less convenient half of the year, for some people, but I don't think there's a time that works for everyone anyway...

Wladimir
gb via bitcoin-dev
2015-09-21 13:51:29 UTC
Although the planning for this a bit far along now, one consideration I
might add from experience on working with other transglobal IT projects
is the effect of timezones on local mood/alertness/awareness etc. The
guys at 9am pinging on their first coffee in the antipodes will be in a
different mindset than those at 21:00 in Europe, and this is
unavoidable. What is possible is to schedule the meeting every other
week at a time that is better for the "other" half, whoever that might
be. This comes at the cost of not having an exactly same time set every
week.

On Mon, 2015-09-21 at 15:29 +0200, Wladimir J. van der Laan via
From Jonasschnelli's doodle ( http://doodle.com/poll/cihug53sa8u4h2in#table ) it appears that Thursday 19:00 UTC - 20:00 UTC is the most popular time.
2015-09-22 14:03:02 UTC
Post by gb via bitcoin-dev
Although the planning for this a bit far along now, one consideration I
might add from experience on working with other transglobal IT projects
Nah, we can always change the scheduling later... But let's first try it out with one time.